Important questions to consider when hiring a dog walker.
Before Mobile Mutts started over thirteen years ago, hiring an individual walker was the only choice in Brooklyn. Mobile Mutts introduced a new level of professional service and accountability. Why use an individual or Uber-type app, when you can hire a fully insured and experienced team to care for you dog or cat?
Are you using an app to hire your dog walker?
Apps may be easy to download but they offer no advantages over using a professional dog walking service such as Mobile Mutts. And they often cost more.
Things to consider:
- BACKGROUND CHECKS?: Apps do not conduct the same level of background and reference checks as a professional dog walking service.
- ZERO MANAGEMENT: There is zero management of walkers by these apps, and anyone can sign up to walk dogs. We have seen walkers who we passed on hiring, or who didn't make it through our training program, walking dogs through an app.
- NO TRAINING: There is no training provided to their walkers beyond some basic reading materials and multiple-choice questions.
- NO COVERAGE: When your walker is out sick or on vacation, it is up to you to find a replacement.
- LOCKBOXES?!: Most apps give you a lockbox for your keys. Lockboxes are not secure. If you look on youtube there are a number of videos showing how to get into a lockbox in less than a minute.
- NO SERVICE IN AN EMERGENCY: If a dog is sick, does your walker have the ability to bring them to the vet and remain there with them until you can arrive without disrupting their day and all the other walks scheduled?
- SOLO ONLY: Some dogs understandably need solo walks but most dogs enjoy time spent socializing with other pups. Small groups with carefully chosen walking buddies are best!
- FIELDING REQUESTS: When your walker is out walking your dog, are they also fielding requests from other clients through the app?
- HUGE RISKS: What happens if your walker is injured in your home or while out walking your dog? Apps do not provide Workers Compensation insurance leaving you open to huge risks.
- EXPLOITATION OF WALKERS: Apps exploit people by mis-categorizing them as Independent Contractors; robbing them of protections required by the law for all employees.
Are you using an independent dog walker?
There are some good individual walkers out there but they can not compare to the level of service Mobile Mutts provides.
Things to consider:
- NO COVERAGE: When your individual walker is sick or on vacation, who will they have cover for them?
- HUGE RISKS: What if your walker is injured in your home or out walking your dog? Individual walkers do not carry Workers Compensation insurance leaving you open to huge risks.
- FIELDING REQUESTS: When your individual walker is out walking your dog, are they also fielding calls and emails from other clients?
- SERVICE DISRUPTION IN AN EMERGENCY?: If a dog is sick, does your individual walker have the ability to bring them to the vet and remain there with them until an owner can arrive without disrupting their day and all the other walks scheduled?
How long has your dog walking service been in business?
There are a handful of good professional dog walking services available. For the safety and security of your pup, kitty and home, it is important to do your homework and know what these services provide.
Things to consider:
- EXPERIENCE?: How long has the service been in business? Without years of experience any service has a long way to go until they can compare to the level of knowledge and experience that Mobile Mutts has gained over the years.
- HIRING AND TRAINING?: How much experience do they have hiring and training their walkers?
- TRAINING PROGRAM: Do they have a training program developed over years?
- MANAGEMENT?: Do they have full time managers available in real time for your calls or emails? Or are their managers out walking dogs?
- EXTRA FEES: Do they charge extra fees for cancellations or last minute walks?
- EMPLOYEES OR IC?: Do they illegally use Independent Contractors in order to avoid paying for Workers Compensation insurance, leaving you open to risk?
Don't trust your dog, cat or home to an amateur walker, an app or a less experienced service! Mobile Mutts has the experience, knowledge and professional level of service you're looking for. Get started with us today.